Red Covered Bridge
2 Miles North of Princeton off IL 26 on Old Dad Joe Trail
Captain Swift Bridge
1600 North Epperson Road, Princeton, Illinois
Princeton has not one, but two, historic covered bridges. Visit the Red Covered Bridge and Captain Swift Bridge just a few miles apart from each other at Big Bureau Creek.
Captain Swift Bridge is located one mile west of Princeton. Built in 2006, the bridge derives its strength from its Burr arch design, an idea patented by Theodore Burr of New York in 1804. The Captain Swift Covered Bridge is the only two-lane covered bridge in Illinois.
The Red Covered Bridge is a wooden, covered bridge that runs over Big Bureau Creek north of Princeton in Dover Township. It was originally built in 1863, at a cost of $3,148.57. The bridge was added to the U.S. National REgister of Historic Places on April 23, 1975.
On Social Media
Keep up-to-date with what’s happening around Princeton, Illinois. #visitprincetonil
Princeton Tourism is a department of the city of princeton